Thursday, November 6, 2008

Prayers

When I was pregnant, I prayed all kinds of things as they related to my unborn Maddox. I didn't know his name, or even his gender, but I prayed earnestly for him anyway. I prayed a million things ... that he would be healthy, smart, strong, kind, a good sleeper, teachable, that he would find his own niche in life, and the list goes on and on. All those things were fine to pray for. But, in a way, I don't care.

I don't care if he's smart. We'll meet him where he is and work with it. I don't care if he's a good sleeper (which he wasn't then, but is now). His degree of teachability can be trained and encouraged.

It amazed me, though, how my prayers changed when I finally held him in my arms. As I looked at his sweet angelic face, I prayed for one thing and it remains my highest goal for him. I prayed that Maddox would grow to be "a man after God's own heart," and would be welcomed home with his savior someday.

I still pray that every day. I pray for Jeff and myself, that we have wisdom and patience to "train Maddox in the way he should go, so that when he is grown he will not depart from it." I pray to be filled up with God's grace so that I can show God to my son.

And now, Maddox prays. He babbles his adorably meaningful language to his beloved Father. And then yells "Amen" and looks up to smile at me. It is the most precious thing I have ever heard. It thrills me, and I know it thrills God.

If you've read my blog for any length of time, I'm sure you know the wisdom and grace I have seen at Bring the Rain. Today, Angie has a post about praying for our children. If it's in your heart to pray for us, please do. We covet your prayers as we raise Maddox in "the fear and admonition of the Lord." Because we're in a battle for Maddox's little soul, and we need all the soldiers we can get. And when all is said and done, I want to hear those words spoken to my son ... "Well done, good and faithful servant. Enter into the joys of your Father."

1 comment:

cara said...

Hi...it's Cara, I met you a few months ago...Mandy's SIL...I sometimes click on your blog link from hers, now that I've met you. Maddox is a cutie! So much bigger from when we met you guys. Anyway, I like reading Angie's blog, too. It's so amazing. Have you been reading it long? I remember a friend of mine in Indiana posted it on her blog the day before Lauren passed away; I sent the link to Mandy shortly after, hoping it would give them all some peace. I don't know if she's seen it yet though. There's another link on that blog, the one for mckmama, that I also like to read. Have you checked that one out? Her story is so awesome. I actually printed out the verses Angie posted so I could pray them over my own kids. Glad to see you're all doing well :) I'll say a prayer for Maddox
Cara